PHONE: (312) 726-6464 FAX: (312) 419-0211

Home / Common Questions

Common Questions

PDF Print

Q:  Is there a charge for my initial consultation?

A:  No, never. 

Your no-obligation consultation is free.  You are hurt and may be out of work.  The last thing you need right now is a bill from a Lawyer.  Let’s just talk about your case and see how we can help you.

Q:  What do you charge after I hire you as my Lawyer?

A:  No Recovery, No Fee.

We will work for you on what is called a “contingency fee basis”.  In other words, our fee is based on a percentage of what we recover for you at the end of the case.

Q:  Do I need a Lawyer?

A:  Our 30 years of experience tells us that you do.

Personal Injury law can be complicated and confusing.  If you have been hurt due to someone’s negligence, you need an experienced Personal Injury Attorney to assess your situation, tell you your rights and then fight to get you the damages that you are entitled to under the law.

It is likely that the person who hurt you is insured.  His or her Insurance Company hires experienced Defense Attorneys and investigators to defeat your claim and/or reduce your damages. 

You need and deserve representation by your own Attorney. 

You need a Plaintiff’s Attorney who will fight for you.

Q:  At the time of an accident, what should I do first to protect my rights?

A:  Your health and well-being are critical.  Seek immediate medical assistance.

Immediately speak with an experienced Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Lawyer so that you can learn the steps you must take in order to protect your rights and your future.  If you are too injured to do so, have a family member or friend call.

Do not delay. If contacted immediately, we have better chance to get to an accident scene before it is altered, gather evidence and interview witnesses while the event is fresh in their minds.

Q:  Should I give a statement to the other party’s insurance company?

A:  No, not before consulting with your own Attorney.

Following an accident, you may be contacted by an insurance company representing the person who hurt you.  Many times this  contact occurs while you are in a hospital bed or at home recovering.

Often, you are medicated when this contact takes place.  They usually try to obtain a written or recorded statement which can--and will—be used against you in the course of the claim or lawsuit.  Do not give such a statement without first speaking with an Attorney.  They may say,  “We just want to know your version of how the accident happened” or  “We  just need to know how you are feeling”.  Again, do not give a statement to the potential defendant’s insurance  company without first speaking with an Attorney.  An Attorney who is on your side.

Of course, you should cooperate and communicate with representatives of your own insurance carrier who are representing your interests.

©2009 Richard L. Rumsey, Ltd.
Lawyer Website Design by The Modern Firm